Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Work by Jo



I'm working on a few different paintings. 

One is a portrait of a boy with a conch while sailing on a schooner. Been thinking about this one for a few years and decided to just give it a try. His mom sent the photo for me to create this portrait three years ago, but she has not yet placed the order.

She has contacted me three years in a row, but still no order. She has purchased some of my artwork and loves them.


first sketch by Jo M. Orise

Therefore, I wonder why she changed her mind each time for the protrait.

Now this picture is in my head and wants out.

What do I do?

Draw it. Experiment with it. Lots of fun as I challenge myself in the process.

Here you see the first drawing in my sketchbook. It was okay. After noting things that need to be changed, I drew it on water color paper that had been soaked and stapled to a board to shrink tight.

Still, I put off painting.

So, I got another piece of water color paper, soaked it and just started painting the figure and its surroundings—no stapling, no drawing, just painting.
Boy With Conch Aboard.
by: Jo M. Orise



First it was wet-on-wet technique, then wet-on-dry.

What do you think?

I usually draw a few fine lines and erase them later. None of that here. Like I said it is pretty rough...but fun to do and see.

Next, I'll just pull out the prepped water color paper that has the last drawing waiting for me.  I look forward to this last part. It will be fun and I'll post the finished piece.

See my other protraits at jomorise.com .

Looking for comments, tips.

BTW, the wavy looking boom is really the warping of the water color paper. That will straighten out in time.

Leave a comment or a post. I love to know what people think.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write a comment. Love to hear from you.