Thursday, August 8, 2019

Honorable Mention Award – Maine Lobster Festival 2019

Wow! I am excited. 

Last year I earned two awards.

This year, I received the “Honorable Mention Award” for the painting “Morning at the Docks”.
Sunrise at the Docks - Port Clyde2019bsmall-72dpi
Morning at the Docks, by: Jo M. Orise
Looking at it, I remember its creation.
I began with a photograph I had taken of the Port Clyde, Maine dock. 
I was, at the time, interested in sunrises and sunsets. How best to represent them. On the ocean seemed best—all that reflection and color glow.
Having gotten married on a schooner, I became smitten with a love for tall ships.
Here I imposed, for my personal pleasure, a schooner in the distance, waiting for morning to be off into the sunrise. But then, why not two ships? They often anchor in a harbor together. Why not in my little harbor scene?
Now we had two schooners.
Then I thought, there’s room for one more alongside those little boats waiting for the fishermen and captains of ships who slept ashore with their loved ones.
Three schooners now lie in wait in the harbor at Port Clyde. The dock depicts fishermen, having arrived from shore and from the sea, beginning the day’s work. Young men, older men, young women, older women, all beguiled by the sea.
The gulls greet the day, announcing a new beginning.
Life on the sea begins anew with the rising sun.
Like and leave a comment.
Love to hear from you.
JMO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write a comment. Love to hear from you.